Car Accident Attorney in Hattiesburg
Motor vehicle accidents can be some of the most severe and deadly. For those injured in an accident, their world can be turned upside down. Faced with mounting doctor and hospital bills, missing work for several weeks or even months, physical, emotional, and psychological trauma, it can take a major toll on injury victims and their families. When car accidents are caused by the negligence or recklessness of another party, those responsible should be held fully accountable.
For 40 years, Gardner Law Firm has successfully represented car accident victims in Hattiesburg and communities throughout southern Mississippi. Our lawyers have in-depth knowledge of personal injury law, and we have recovered tens of millions of dollars in damages for our clients. We understand the hardships accident injury victims have to endure, and we do everything possible to make the legal process smooth and seamless.
We work closely with our clients, taking the time to thoroughly evaluate their case, so we can develop most practical and effective path toward a favorable resolution. Our initial consultations are always free, and we provide frequent updates on the progress of the case, so you are always kept informed. We also accept all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, so you are never forced to pay upfront attorney fees to receive the skilled and personalized representation you need and deserve.
Common Types of Auto Accidents in Mississippi
Our Hattiesburg personal injury attorneys have extensive experience with all types of accidents involving motor vehicles. This includes:
- Car Accidents
- Pickup Truck Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Commercial Trucking Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
There are many ways that a car crash can happen, such as:
- Side-Impact Collisions: Commonly known as a broadside or T-bone collision, side-impact accidents occur when the front or rear of one vehicle collides with the side of the other. Drivers and passengers in the vehicle in which the side is struck usually sustain the most serious injuries with this type of collision.
- Rear-End Collisions: These are among the most common types of car accidents on the roadways. Rear-end collisions occur when the front of one vehicle collides into the rear of the other. Since the driver of the vehicle that was rear-ended is usually not aware of an impending collision, those in this vehicle typically bear the brunt of the injuries.
- Sideswipe Collisions: These collisions usually occur when two vehicles driving side by side touch and swipe each other. Sideswipes can be fairly minor. Combined with other factors such as poor weather, however, these collisions can cause one or both drivers to lose control of their vehicles.
- Head-On Collisions: A head-on collision is when the front ends of two motor vehicle crach into each other. Depending on the speed in which the vehicles were traveling, size and weight of the vehicles and other factors, these types of accidents can often result in severe injuries and fatalities.
- Rollovers: Another very hazardous type of auto accident is a rollover. This happens when the vehicle flips over onto its side or its roof. Rollovers can occur with any vehicle, but they are more common with vehicles that have a higher center of gravity, such as SUVs.
- Single Vehicle Accidents: These are accidents with just one vehicle involved. Examples include when a vehicle strikes a tree, lamppost, fire hydrant, the median in the road, or an individual who is close by. This type of accident often results in extensive property damage and personal injury to nearby individuals, such as bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Multi-Vehicle Pileups: Some accidents involve more than two vehicles, the most common is called a multi-car pileup. With multi-car pileups, vehicles are often struck several times, increasing the risk of serious and catastrophic injuries. Explosions and fires are another common hazard at the scene of the pile-up.
There are many reasons motor vehicle accidents occur. Some are due to uncontrollable circumstances such as bad weather (e.g., heavy rain, slippery roads, etc.). Sadly, most accidents are due to negligent or reckless actions on the part of motorists.
For example, many individuals routinely exceed the speed limit and do not exercise caution in hazardous areas like construction and school zones. Drunk driving is still a common problem as well, with numerous motorists driving their vehicles while intoxicated, especially on nights and weekends. Distracted driving is an emerging problem that has worsened with the increased use of smartphones. Too many drivers do not understand the dangers of activities such as texting while driving until it is too late. Other common reasons for car accidents include driver fatigue, road rage, and vehicle product defects.
Auto accidents can result in severe injuries. These include:
- Head and Brain Injuries
- Whiplash and other Spinal Cord Injuries
- Cuts, Scrapes, and Bruises
- Burn Injuries
- Internal Bleeding
- Arm and Leg Injuries
- Herniated Disc
- Wrongful Death
What to Do After a Car Accident in Hattiesburg
An auto accident can be a very unsettling experience. When this occurs, there are some actions you should take as soon as possible:
- First and foremost, call 911 and seek medical attention for your injuries and for whomever else is hurt. Even if you don’t feel like you are hurt, it is still important to get medical help, because some serious injuries (such as internal bleeding) are not easy to detect;
- Call the police and file a report;
- Take as many photos as you can of the accident scene;
- Obtain the contact information of the other driver(s) as well as their insurance information;
- Obtain the contact information for anyone who witnessed the incident;
- Write down as much detail as you can remember while the incident is fresh in your mind;
- Do NOT admit any fault for the accident;
- Contact one of our seasoned car accident attorneys right away.
Our lawyers will work with you to successfully navigate the complicated and often confusing claims process. We will handle all aspects of the process, from dealing with your insurance adjuster to negotiating compensation to pursuing litigation (when necessary).
We have dealt with countless cases like yours in the past four decades, and most of the representatives for the other side are familiar with us. They know that if your claim goes to trial, it is likely to cost them a lot more than if they settle. Whenever possible, we try to negotiate a favorable settlement without the need for litigation, but if the other side is not willing to cooperate, we are ready and able to aggressively advocate on your behalf in the courtroom.
Speak with a Knowledgeable Hattiesburg Car Accident Lawyer
Mississippi has a three-year statute of limitations for personal injury cases. If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, it is best to get in contact with us sooner rather than later. We will thoroughly analyze the specific circumstances of your case and help you make an informed decision regarding your next legal steps. To schedule your free, no-obligation consultation, contact us today by sending a confidential message, calling us at 601-582-4300 or visiting our Hattiesburg office on Hardy Street.