Car Accident Attorney in Pascagoula
Each year, there are thousands of injuries and hundreds of fatalities on Mississippi roadways. In fact, according to the Journal of Pediatrics, more Mississippi children are killed in car crashes per capita than in any other state. Some auto accidents are due to circumstances beyond human control, such as poor weather. Far too many, however, are caused by the negligent or reckless actions of other motorists. If you or someone close to you has suffered seriously injury or death in an auto accident, it is important to speak with a seasoned personal injury attorney, so you understand your rights and options.
At Gardner Law Firm, we have four decades of experience representing individuals wrongly injured or killed in car accidents in Pascagoula and throughout south Mississippi. Our attorneys have extensive knowledge of this area of the law, and what it takes to ensure that those responsible for motor vehicle accidents are held accountable. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll serious personal injuries can have on victims and their families, and we fight hard to obtain full compensation for your injuries.
We represent victims injured in all types of motor vehicle accidents. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Car Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pickup Truck Accidents
- 18-Wheeler Trucking Accidents
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Pascagoula
There are several reasons motor vehicle accidents occur. Some of the most common include:
- Speeding: Many motorists routinely exceed the speed limit, and this behavior results in numerous auto accidents with injuries. In fact, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, speeding accounts for more than a quarter of all traffic fatalities each year.
- Driving Recklessly: Tailgating, weaving back and forth between lanes, speeding through school zones and construction zones, road rage, and other forms of reckless or aggressive driving contribute heavily to the number of vehicle accidents.
- Drunk Driving: Despite several decades of public relations campaigns against drinking and driving, it is still a huge problem on the roads, especially at night and on weekends. Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs results in far too many accidents with injuries and fatalities.
- Distracted Driving: In today’s information age, everyone wants to stay connected. Texting while driving and similar forms of distracted driving have become a major hazard on the roadways. Far too many motorists are not paying proper attention because of these types of distractions.
- Fatigue: Driving while drowsy or fatigued is a major issue with commercial truck drivers, who are often under pressure to cut corners, so they can deliver their loads on time.
- Product Defects: Some auto accidents are the result of defective vehicle parts. In such cases, there may be a product liability claim against the manufacturer and/or distributor of the faulty part(s).
Car crashes can lead to numerous types of injuries, such as:
- Head Injuries (e.g., concussions, traumatic brain injuries, etc.)
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Herniated Disc
- Chest Injuries
- Arm and Leg Injuries
- Scrapes, Cuts and Bruises
- Burn Injuries
- Wrongful Death
How Does a Mississippi Car Accident Claim Work?
If you are injured in a motor vehicle crash in Pascagoula or anywhere in Southern Mississippi, there are several important steps you should take right away:
- Seek immediate medical attention for your injuries and for anyone else who was hurt at the accident scene;
- Report the accident to the police;
- If you are able, take multiple photos of the scene of the accident;
- Exchange information with the other drivers. Get the name, address, phone number, name of the insurer, and the insurer’s phone number and policy number;
- Obtain the contact information of anyone who witnesses the incident;
- Write down/record the details of the incident;
- Do NOT admit to any fault for the accident;
- Speak with our experienced car accident lawyers as soon as possible.
Pursuing a personal injury claim after an auto accident can be a complex and confusing process. Our attorneys thoroughly analyze the incident to determine who was at fault and the right path to obtaining damages. In some cases, there may be multiple parties who are potentially at fault. We put our extensive experience to work to identify the important facts and evidence in the case and put together the best legal strategy going forward. We handle the entire process for you from start to finish, including filing your claim, dealing with your insurance adjuster, negotiating with the other side, and pursuing litigation if necessary.
We are skilled litigators and strong negotiators. Most of our adversaries are familiar with us and our successful track record of obtaining large damage awards for clients through litigation. In many cases, our proven track record motivates the other side to settle the case without going to court. If the other side is not willing to be reasonable, however, we are ready and able to aggressively advocate for your rights and interests at trial and upon appeal.
Damages Available in Auto Accident Cases
Compensation in personal injury case can be in the form of both economic and non-economic damages. Examples of economic damages may include:
- Property damage
- Current and future medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Current and future loss of earnings
Examples of non-economic damages may include:
- Physical Pain and Suffering
- Emotional Distress
- Diminished Quality of Life
Mississippi is a pure comparative negligence state. This means that a plaintiff can collect damages from a defendant even if he/she is determined to be partially at fault. In such cases, the plaintiff’s damage award is reduced based on the percentage of fault they share in the accident. For example, if the total amount of damages is $25,000 and the plaintiff is determined to be 40% at fault, he/she would receive 60% of $25,000 = $15,000.
Speak with an Experienced Pascagoula Car Accident Lawyer
When you are injured in an auto accident, the insurance company will typically try to settle the case quickly and for a fraction of what you are entitled to, so they can get it off their books. DO NOT agree to any settlement in a personal injury case without first talking with one of our skilled attorneys. We will evaluate your case and fight for every dollar of compensation you deserve.
To schedule a free consultation with our office, contact us today by sending a confidential message, calling us at 228-762-6555 or visiting our Pascagoula office on Canty Street.