Car Accident Attorney in Ocean Springs
Auto accidents can result in severe and catastrophic injuries, and for those injured in a car wreck, it can turn their whole world upside down. Medical expenses can quickly add up, and it could be several weeks or even months before they are able to return to work (assuming they are able to return to work at all). On top of all this, there is the distress of having to live day in and day out with physical pain and not knowing when you are going to experience any relief.
There are numerous motor vehicle accidents each year in Ocean Springs and other Mississippi Gulf Coast communities. The nearby casinos and other tourist attractions cause a lot of traffic gridlock and higher instances of drunk driving. Statewide, Mississippi has been among the nation’s leaders in traffic-related fatalities for most of the past couple decades, making it one of the most dangerous states in the country to drive in.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash in Mississippi that was caused by the negligence or reckless actions of another party, you deserve to be fully compensated. But don’t expect the insurance company to have your back. The primary goal of insurance companies is to pay out as little as possible after an accident. As such, their interests are not aligned with yours. For this reason, you need a strong advocate by your side who is looking out for your interests.
At the Gardner Law Firm, we have over 40 years of experience successfully representing individuals who have been injured in auto accidents in Ocean Springs, Biloxi, Gulfport, Pascagoula, and communities throughout Southern Mississippi. Our attorneys are primarily focused on personal injury and related areas of the law, and we have an in-depth understanding of not only the laws and statutes, but how these laws are practically applied in various jurisdictions throughout the state.
We have a proven track record with even the most complex cases, and we are not afraid to go up against well-funded adversaries, such as large insurance companies with their extensive resources. We give each case the full attention it deserves, taking the time to thoroughly investigate the facts and evidence and exploring every potential legal avenue to help ensure that our clients are able to recover full and fair compensation for their injuries.
Common Reasons for Auto Accidents in Mississippi
Highway 90 and other major roads in Ocean Springs had been the site of some deadly accidents over the years. Sadly, these types of accidents are all too common in Mississippi, and there are a number of contributing factors. Most of the time, car accidents are preventable and caused primarily by some type of driver negligence.
Some of the most common factors that contribute to motor vehicle accidents include:
- Distracted Driving: In today’s increasingly digitized society, a growing percentage of car accidents are caused by driver inattentiveness and distractions. T
- Driving while Drowsy or Fatigued: People who drive for a living, work long hours, and work overnight hours are especially prone to driving when they are fatigued and have not had enough sleep.
- Chemical Impairment: As mentioned earlier, there is a lot of alcohol consumed in the casinos and other establishments along Mississippi’s Gulf Coast, and many accidents in Ocean Springs and nearby communities can be attributed to drunk driving.
- Speeding: Driving over the speed limit makes it far more difficult to react in time to adverse road conditions. Many auto accidents could easily be prevented if motorists would just drive at a safer speed.
- Aggressive/Reckless Driving: Some motorists are in a hurry to get where they are going, or for whatever other reason, they choose to drive aggressively or recklessly. Examples include following too closely/tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes, running stop signs and stop lights, unsafe passing maneuvers, failure to yield the right of way, playing “chicken”, and many others. These behaviors greatly increase the chances of a car crash.
- Vehicle Defects: Sometimes, a car accident may be caused by a faulty vehicle or vehicle part that fails or malfunctions at just the wrong time. Common vehicle product defects that result in an accident include brake line failures, tire blowouts, and steering system failures. When this happens, those who are injured may be able to bring a product liability claim against the vehicle or vehicle part designer, manufacturer, supplier, or distributor.
What is an Ocean Springs Car Accident Case Worth?
Those who are involved in motor vehicle accidents can often end up with moderate or severe injuries. And when the accident is someone else’s fault, those who are injured have the right to be compensated.
Compensatory damages that may be available for an auto accident injury include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Funeral and burial costs (in the case of a wrongful death)
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish/emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Permanent injury
- Loss of consortium and companionship
In some limited cases, a jury may also award punitive damages above and beyond damages that compensate for the victim’s losses. Punitive damages are meant to punish the responsible party, and they are generally only awarded in cases where the injury was caused by willful, malicious, or grossly negligent actions. In Mississippi, punitive damages are capped based on the net worth of the defendant.
Statute of Limitations for Mississippi Car Accidents
For most auto accident cases in Mississippi, the statute of limitations for filing a claim is three years. However, if your injury was caused by the negligence of a government employee or entity (such as hazardous conditions caused by poorly maintained roads), you must follow a different set of rules, one of which is to file a claim with the state’s Attorney General within 90 days of the accident.
Contact a Knowledgeable and Compassionate Ocean Springs, MS Car Accident Lawyer
At the Gardner law firm, we know that being injured in an auto accident can cause tremendous physical, emotional, and financial pain for victims and their families, and our goal is to make the legal end of things as smooth and stress-free as possible. We work closely with our clients, providing skilled legal guidance and moral support and taking care of all the complicated legal tasks. This frees you up to put your focus where it belongs – on your recovery. Along the way, we stay in regular contact with you to provide frequent updates, and we are always there whenever you need to reach out to us with questions or concerns about your case.
If you are in Ocean Springs, Gulfport, Biloxi, Pascagoula, or anywhere along Mississippi’s Gulf Coast, call the Gardner Law Firm today at 228-436-6555 or message us through our web contact form to schedule a free consultation and case evaluation.
We handle all personal injury cases on a contingency basis – you only pay attorney fees if we win your case